We are saddened by the passing of one of Jerome’s most knowledgeable and dedicated historians, Nancy Smith.
Preparing for opening of CHSM left to right Pat Williams, Drake Meinke, and Nancy Smith, circa 2007
In 2020 CHSM recognized Nancy for her dedication in furthering our mission to preserve and protect the unique history and built environment of Clarkdale, “Arizona’s first company town and planned community.” Nancy's perseverance and expertise produced a lasting contribution to telling the story of and preserving our region’s rich history.
Amongst her many achievements and gifts to our community include:
· The placement of the Clark Memorial Clubhouse on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982
· Working as historian for “A Historic Resource Survey of Clarkdale, Arizona” in 1989
· Preparing and finalizing the application for the Clarkdale Historic District to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997 which resulted in its acceptance in 1998
· Completing the application and establishment of the Clarkdale Heritage Center as a 501(c)3 non-profit organization in 2003
· Working to prepare and open the Clarkdale Heritage Center now known as the Clarkdale Historical Society and Museum in 2007
· Serving on the Board of Directors for the Clarkdale Heritage Center.
· Serving as our featured speaker at the September 2019 CHSM First Friday event
· Servings as the museum’s accountant from 2019 to 2021.
contributed by Michael Lindner, President